Monday, 3 August 2009
440ml tin of (organic) chick peas (no added salt or sugar), drained
2tbsp of the liquid from the can (optional for a creamier consistency)
2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
juice of a lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
Put all the ingredients into a beaker and blend with a handheld blender. To serve, sprinkle with some paprika or freshly chopped herbs.
1. Leave out the tahini and use 4tbsp olive oil instead.
2. Keep 1-2tbsp chick peas aside, roughly mash with a fork or chop and add to the blend.
3. Blend in 1-2 roasted red peppers, either home-made ones or out of a jar.
4. Chop some fresh herbs, e.g. coriander or even rocket, and mix them in at the end.
5. Use other pulses, e.g. borlotti beans, cannellini beans, mixed beans, black-eyed beans etc. Beans are creamier than chickpeas, therefore no liquor needs to be added. I also like to rinse them under water to remove the thick liquor they're tinned in.