Tuesday, 27 April 2010
Potato and Tomato Gratin on a Bed of Sage
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side dish.
4 medium potatoes
500 g of small vine tomatoes
12 sage leaves (ordinary, purple or a mix of both)
10 g butter
freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the potatoes in a saucepan, season with salt and pepper and cover with boiling water. Boil for about 15-20 minutes until parboiled.
2. Meanwhile slice the tomatoes.
3. Fry the sage leaves in the butter and a teaspoon of olive oil for 2-3 minutes until they start to crisp. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Slice the potatoes with their skin on (or peel them first if preferred).
5. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into a roasting tray and spread using a brush.
6. Scatter the sage leaves into the roasting tray.
7. Alternately place potatoes and tomatoes slices into the roasting tray. Season with pepper and salt and drizzle with olive oil.
8. Bake at gas mark 7, 220° C for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
Serve as a main course with salad/roast asparagus etc. and Greek-style yoghurt or as a side dish.