|I added some coconut to the drizzle and using a couple of teaspoons spread a little on top. Probably won't do that again.|
(makes 12 muffins)
3 small blood oranges or 2 medium oranges
200 g butter, chopped, at room temperature
150 g unrefined soft brown sugar (110 g + 40 g)
180 g flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
40 g desiccated coconut
1. Thoroughly wash the oranges removing any wax with a brush. Chop up 1 1/2 blood oranges removing any pips and process to a pulp in a food processor. Meanwhile zest the other oranges. Add to the pulp and set aside.
2. Using a hand blender mix the butter and 110 g of sugar until creamy. Mix in the eggs, then the orange pulp and desiccated coconut.
3. Mix the flour and baking powder and add in batches until you have a smooth batter.
4. Line a muffin tin with paper cases and spoon in the cake mixture.
5. Bake at 200 °C/gas mark 6 for 20-25 minutes. Check with a skewer if they're done.
6. Leave to cool in the muffin tray for 10 minutes.
7. In the meantime, squeeze out the remaining oranges, strain and mix with 40 g sugar.
8. Drizzle with the orange and sugar solution then carefully remove from the tin and place on a rack too cool completely.