Monday, 3 October 2011
Spätzle with Chanterelles
A couple of weeks ago, on a visit to Germany I spotted chanterelles at the supermarket and just couldn't resist. Although they're in season in September you just can't find them in UK supermarkets.
1 packet of fresh spätzle
500g chanterelles, cleaned
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dried herbs, e.g. Oregano, Herbes de Provence
extra virgin olive oil
250 ml whipping cream
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes, then add the herbs and keep sautéing until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Heat a little more oil in the cleaned pan and add the chanterelles, season with pepper and salt and sauté till softened.
3. Add the onion and garlic, mix together, then pour in the cream.
4. Add the spätzle and heat through.
Serve immediately with a leafy salad.
1. If using dry spätzle, cook as per instructions and mix in at the end.
2. If you can't get spätzle, Italian trofie make lovely alternative.