Sunday, 7 November 2010
Mussels with leek and tomatoes
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter.
1/2 a quantity of leek and tomato sauce (see below)
1 kg fresh mussels, cleaned and checked
leek and tomato sauce
1 leek, very finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
100 ml full-bodied red wine
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
125 g fresh spinach, washed, spun and coarsely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the leek and garlic over a medium heat until soft but not brown. Season with pepper and salt.
2. Add the red wine and tomatoes and bring to a high simmer. Check the seasoning.
3. Simmer for a couple of minutes until very hot. Then add the spinach mixing it in.
4. Remove half the sauce and set aside.
5. Pour in the mussels and close the lid. Cook for a minute then shake the contents of the saucepan. Cook for another minute, shake the saucepan and check if the mussels have opened.
6. Serve immediately with crusty bread.