Saturday, 30 October 2010
Stuffed Winter Squash
I love the multicoloured winter squashes as they are gread for soups, roasting, stuffing, pan frying and more.
2 small winter squashes, washed, halved and cored
3-4 flat mushrooms, chopped
1 large courgette, chopped into little cubes
a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
extra virgin olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red onion, quartered and sliced
dried herbes de Provence
1 small red chilli
freshly ground black pepper
toasted pine nuts
1. Cut the outside of the squash to create a flat surface, then brush a baking tray and the skin of the squash halves with olive oil. Season the squash with pepper and salt and add the tomatoes and toasted pine nuts.
2. Sauté the onions, garlic, chilli and dried herbs in a little olive oil until soft.
3. Push to the side of the pan to prevent them from burning.
4. Add a little more oil if necessary and brown the mushrooms and courgettes.
5. When brown, mix everything together and season with pepper and salt.
6. Spooon the mix into the squash and cover with tin foil.
7. Bake in a hot oven at 200°C/gas mark 6 for about 45 minutes until the squash is soft.
- grate some parmesan over the dish before serving
- after 35 - 40 minutes, crumble some Feta cheese on top and return to the oven to brown the cheese