Monday, 10 May 2010
Bucatini with Steamed Asparagus and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
I'm crazy about asparagus this time of year. But no Sauce Hollandaise for me. I roast it in the oven, steam it, use it in salads, risottos, omelettes with pasta or eat it on its own...the possibilities are endless.
The following recipe makes a delicious week-day dinner for four.
500 g bucatini pasta
600 g green asparagus, steamed
toasted pumpkin seeds
(organic) toasted pumpkin oil
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the pasta as per packet instructions (about 17 min). Drain and drizzle liberally with olive oil.
2. Snap the asparagus spears to get rid of the woody bits. Wash and place into a steamer. Season with pepper and salt. Steam for about 5-7 minutes turning them using tongs until the spears are al dente.
3. Cut the asparagus into 2 cm long sections.
4. Place a portion of pasta onto heated plates and scatter the asparagus over the top.
5. Drizzle some toasted pumpkin oil over each serving and scatter with toasted pumpkin seeds.
6. Season with black pepper (optional) and add the parmesam shavings.
7. Serve immediately.