I love the freshness of the tomatoes, the slight heat and the versatility of this tomato salsa. It goes so well with a tray of roasted root vegetables, fish, chops and is great as a dip with tortilla chips.
5 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped and optionally deseeded
1 small red onion or shallot, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the tomatoes in a bowl, boil some water and pour the water over the tomatoes. After a minute, remove the tomatoes and take their skins off.
2. Cut the skinned tomatoes into quarters, remove the seeds and place the tomato quarters into a colander to let them drain.
3. Chop the tomatoes and place in a bowl.
4. Chop the onion and chilli and add to the tomatoes.
5. Season with pepper and salt and leave to marinate at room temperature for at least half an hour before serving.
Any leftovers can be used in a sauce the next day.