The following recipe makes a relatively small amount of a thick sauce that can be served with a side dish of kohlrabi, cauliflower, broccoli, leafy vegetables such as savoy cabbage, cavolo nero, spring greens or spinach etc.
It's also an essential ingredient when making lasagne or moussaka.
2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1tbsp wholemeal flour
150-200ml semi-skimmed or whole milk
50g parmesan, coarsely grated
1(free-range organic) egg yolk
freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat about 2 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan.
2. When the oil is hot, sprinkle in 1 tbsp of wholemeal flour. Stir the flour into the oil and wait till it bubbles.
3. Slowly start pouring in the milk while constantly stirring to avoid lumps.
4. Keep stirring, bring to the boil, then turn off the heat.
5. Stir in the egg yolk and the parmesan. Season with black pepper and keep stirring until you have a thick smooth sauce. Taste to check the seasoning, you may not need to add any salt.