Monday 3 August 2009

Marinated Olives

1. with anchovies and lime

pitted green (and black) olives
1/2 lime (or lemon), cut into small chunks
garlic, coarsely grated (optional)
tin of anchovies , roughly chopped - not the tin, the anchovies! (optional)



2. with sundried tomatoes, herbs and garlic


pitted black and green olives
sundried tomatoes, cut into strips
garlic, coarsely grated
dried Herbes de Provence


3. with chilli and cumin

pitted black and green olives
freshly ground cumin
5-6 cardamoms, cracked
roasted red chillis, cut into strips

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekka,
    Have you ever had the chance to do something with fresh olives? I saw some at the market but was absolutely unsure what to do with them, so they stayed on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm afraid not. I just use olives in jars and started marinating them myself because the more interesting offerings are generally quite expensive. It's an interesting idea, though, so I'll try and do some research into what to do with fresh olives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Nancy,

    I've managed to find a couple of different methods for dealing with fresh olives. It takes a while before they're edible so may either be a fun project with shop bought olives but probably really worthwhile with olives from your own olive tree. I've wanted one of those for a long time but doubt it'd bear fruit in these climes.

    So here are the links:
    http://www.hub-uk.com/interesting/oliveoil05.htm

    The next article made me laugh. She was worried about breaking an expensive chopping board? I'd be more concerned about the potential damage to my enamel bath!
    http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474976757213&grpId=3659174697239095

    If you try either of these methods, do let me know how they turn out, please.

    ReplyDelete