Monday, 22 March 2010
Fresh Filled Pasta with Spinach, Basil & Pinenuts
Here's an idea to turn filled, fresh shop-bought pasta into something delicious and healthy. This takes only about 5 minutes to prepare as only the pasta needscooking!
1 packet of the filled, fresh pasta of your choice
a couple of handfuls of fresh spinach, washed and roughly chopped
a small handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
1-2 tbsp toasted pinenuts
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove (optional)
freshly grated parmesan
balsamic glaze (optional)
1. Boil the pasta in salted boiling water according to packet instructions.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the spinach and basil leaves.
3. If you have pinenuts but they aren't toasted, heat a non-stick pan. When the pan is hot, add the pinenuts and keep moving them around so they brown evenly without burning. Set aside when ready.
4. Drain the pasta, return to the saucepan and drizzle with olive oil. Season with pepper (I don't add any salt at this point but that's a matter of taste).
5. Squeeze a garlic clove over the paste (if used), then add the spinach, basil and pinenuts and toss gently together. The spinach will wilt from the heat of the pasta.
6. Serve on 2 plates and add some freshly grated parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.