Saturday, 26 December 2015
Chateaubriand with White Wine and Soured Cream Sauce
500 g chateaubriand (matured for 28 days)
freshly ground black pepper
4 banana shallots, peeled and quartered
2 large garlic cloves, julienned
120 ml soured cream
150 ml dry white wine
1 tbsp green peppers in brine, drained
1 tsp flour
2 tbsp cold water
1. Heat to oven to 200 °C/gas mark 5.
2. Place the shallots, garlic and olive oil into the oven.
3. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and sear the chateaubriand for 2-3 minutes on each side. Do NOT clean the frying pan.
4. Place the meat on top of the garlic and shallots and roast for 15 minutes for rare, 17 minutes for medium rare, 18 minutes for medium (times are approximately, I'd suggest using a meat thermometer).
5. Warm a plate in the oven. Rest the meat covered in a tent of tin foil for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, place the shallots and garlic in the frying pan. When they start to sizzle, add the white wine. Bring to the boil. Mix the flour and water, then add the flour-and-water mix, green peppers and the soured cream. Bring to the boil and simmer until thickend. Season with pepper, salt and nutmeg.