I'm pretty new to jam making but am really enjoying it. So it's great we've started renting out a room on a bed and breakfast basis that allows me to spoil guests with homemade jam and other continental breakfast goodies.
1 kg morello cherries, fresh or frozen
1 kg granulated sugar
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3-4 tbsp amaretto
1. Place a couple of saucers in the freezer.
2. Coarsely chop about 2/3 of the cherries. Place cherries and sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan, cover and cook over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. This prevents the sugar from sticking and burning. Stir every now and then.
3. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for approx. 5 minutes. Take off the heat. When the jam has stopped boiling vigourously add the amaretto, then leave to cool for 5 minutes. This is important if you don't want to burn yourself.
4. Place a little jam onto a frozen saucer and leave for 5 minutes. If it wrinkles when touched it's ready. If not repeat step 3 (minus the amaretto) and 4 until the jam has set.
5. Fill into warm steriliised jars.