Sunday, 22 February 2015
Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake with Breadcrumb Topping
1 small cauliflower
1 head of broccoli
1 Kabanossi sausage
freshly ground black pepper
200 g sourdough bread
fresh herbs, rosemary, thyme & sage or basil, thyme & oregano or coriander & lime zest
1 garlic clove
1 red chili
extra virgin olive oi
fresh lime or lemon juice
1. Cut the bread into chunks. Peel the garlic. Half and deseed the chili. Wash the herbs and chop very coarsely. Place all the ingredients into a food processor. Season with pepper and add some olive oil. Add more olive oil as required. Set aside.
2. Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into florets. Place into two separate steamer inserts. Start with the cauliflower. Steam for 5 minutes. Place the steamer insert with the broccoli on top and steam for a further 3 minutes. Remove and rinse both vegetables immediately under very cold water or plunge into a bowl of water and ice cubes. Drain and pat dry.
3. Slice the aubergine and cut into small bits. Finely slice the Kabanossi.
4. Lightly oil an oven-proof dish an add all the vegetables, season with pepper and salt and drizzle with oil. Scatter the Kabanossi slices over the top. Cover with tin foil and bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C/gas mark 5 for 30 minutes.
1. For a vegetarian version omit the sausage. It'll still be as tasty.
2. Use chorizo instead of Kabanossi sausage.