Monday, 7 January 2013
Persimmon and Pomegranate Chutney
10 sharon fruit
1 fibreless mango (optional)
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
12 cardamom pods
1 large red chilli
4 red onions
700 g demerara sugar
1. Chop the fruit into cubes and remove the seeds from the pomegranates. Finely chop the onions.
2. Juice the limes and the grapefruit and add enough sherry vinegar to make 600 ml of liquid.
3. Dry fry the spices in a pan and mince in a mortar.
4. Pour the lime/grapefruit/vinegar mix into a saucepan, add the sugar and spices and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
5. Add the fruit and onions and bring to the boil. Then simmer covered for 2 hours. Remove the lid and simmer for another hour until the chutney has a nice thick consistency.
6. Pour into sterilised screw top jars. Put on the lids, place into a saucepan with boiling water and boil for 15 minutes. Leave to rest in a cool dark place for 8 weeks.