Tuesday, 22 May 2012
Lemony Roasted Asparagus Risotto
200 g risotto or paella rice
2 banana shallots, very finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
1.5 l vegetable stock
175 ml dry white wine
freshly ground black pepper
50 g freshly grated parmesan
extra virgin olive oil
250 g green asparagus
juice of 1 lemon
1. Prepare the asparagus first: Bend so it breaks where the woddy end starts. (You can use the woody bits along with other ingredients to make a vegetable stock.) Wash and place into a roasting tray, season with a little pepper and salt und drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 220 °C/gas mark 6 for approx. 12 minutes. It should still have quite a bit of bite because it will cook when added to the risotto. Drizzle with lemon juice, remove onto a plate and leave to cool, then chop into 3-4 cm long pieces. Add the juices from the baking tray to your stock.
2. For the risotto, heat some olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes at a low heat until tender but not browned.
3. Add the rice and keep stirring until the rice starts to become translucent. Then add the wine. Keep stirring until the wine has been absorbed. Now start adding the hot stock a ladle at the time. Over a medium heat keep stirring the whole time. After about 15-20 minutes check if the rice is done. If you like make it al dente.
4. Now turn off the heat and add the asparagus.
5. Next, add the parmesan and a little olive oil or butter. Mix carefully and leave for a couple of minutes. This is how it becomes so wonderfully creamy.
Serve on warmed plates optionally drizzled with a nice olive oil and topped with some watercress.